Speech-Language Pathology for Seniors
Our speech-language therapists work with you to treat various cognitive, speech, language and/or neurological disorders. We work with you and your loved ones to develop a treatment plan that addresses your goals. We provide you with exercises and compensation strategies depending on your diagnosis.
Speech-language therapists work with diagnoses such as:
- Neuro-degenerative conditions, like dementia, Parkinson’s disease and multiple sclerosis
- Mild or traumatic brain injuries (concussion or TBI)
- Head and neck cancer
- Chemo brain or chemo fog
What to Expect from Speech-Language Pathology for Seniors
When you call for an appointment, we schedule you for either a 45-minute or 90-minute evaluation. The time depends on the reason for your visit. At your evaluation visit, a licensed speech-language pathologist discusses your concerns. We complete an assessment in order to make a treatment plan with goals. We give you recommendations for how to address your needs both during our therapy sessions and at home.
Speech-Language Pathology Disorders and Treatments
Our speech-language therapists treat a wide variety of issues.
- Dysarthria: muscle weakness in your mouth
- Verbal/oral apraxia: difficulty sending the message from your brain to your mouth
- Dysphonia: vocal cord or voice box disorders, such as a paralyzed or weak vocal cord and quiet or raspy voice
- Aphasia: difficulty with any combination of thinking of or getting out words, understanding what someone says to you, understanding what you are reading, and writing messages
- Organization/planning events
- Orientation: knowing who you are, where you are, etc.
- Sequencing steps
- Difficulty with different textures or consistencies of liquid or solid foods
- History of aspiration pneumonia
- Loss of sensation in your mouth, cheeks or tongue
- Coughing or choking on food or liquid
Call Your Nearest Clinic or Dial (443) 481-1140.
Ask if one of our therapists is close to you!