Neurological disorders result from diseases such as:
- Guillain-Barre syndrome
- Mild or traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Multiple sclerosis
- Parkinson’s disease
- Spinal cord injuries
A team of physical therapists, occupational therapists and speech-language pathologists can help you. We also offer a monthly Stroke Support Group.
What to Expect from Neurological Rehabilitation
Physical therapy: Conventional physical therapy for cognitive and neurologic disorders treats balance, strength, gait, posture, coordination and other impairments. We also provide wheelchair evaluations.
Physical therapy can help:
- Improve your mobility, including walking, navigating stairs, and transferring in and out of bed or a chair
- Teach you to change your surroundings to make it easier and safer to move around
- Decrease your risk of falling
Our team helps address your mobility needs and helps you with daily activities. This helps you become more independent and get back to your previous activities.
Occupational therapy: Occupational therapy (OT) helps you take part in meaningful, everyday activities. Many who have neurological conditions experience changes that impact physical, cognitive and emotional abilities. It can stop you from independently taking part in your home, work, school and community.
OT services may:
- Address weakness, sensory loss, and cognitive and visual impairments that limit your daily activities
- Train you in self-care, like dressing and bathing, and home management skills, like cooking and cleaning. We show you how to use equipment and techniques to increase your safety and independence at home
- Study your work-related tasks to recommend changes that help you return to the workplace
- Suggest ways to help you get back into the community by assessing transportation and moving around easier
- Encourage healthy lifestyle choices and routines to help you prevent further complications and maintain your independence
- Teach caregivers and family members to care for your loved ones and prevent burn-out
Speech-language therapy: Our outpatient rehab speech-language pathologists work with a wide variety of patients, including stroke, traumatic brain injury or neurological disorder (Parkinson’s Disease, ALS, MS, etc.). Our speech-language pathologists treat a wide variety of disorders, including stroke, traumatic brain injury and neurological disorders like Parkinson’s disease, ALS and multiple sclerosis.
We provide evaluation and treatment for:
- Problem solving
- Organizational skills
- Visual and spatial skills
“I was barely able to move my neck and was unable to function at my job. I haven’t felt this good in years. The staff are amazing and the techs are a lot of fun to work with. I will miss my sessions, but I’m cured!”
“Starting with almost no movement and a lot of pain, OT has restored my strength and flexibility in my hand. The staff was empathetic, efficient and made a somewhat tedious task fun. I am very happy with the outcome and am able to do my daily activities with relative ease.”
“It was a very educational experience and helpful to my recovery. The staff are knowledgeable and know what to do. The homework stretches and exercises were helpful now and will be in the future.”
“I have been taken under the wings of a great team of people helping me with my lymphedema. I am extremely grateful for the assistance I received. This is an excellent place to get the proper care and attention needed to improve.”