As you get older, physical changes, health conditions or even medications you take can cause a greater risk of falling. AAMG Physical Therapy offers fall prevention evaluations to assess your balance and risk for falls. We help you develop a personalized exercise routine to help.
Fall Prevention Tips
If you are at risk, consider these fall prevention tips:
- Exercise. Consider a physical therapy evaluation to assess your balance and risk for falls. The physical therapist can also help you develop a customized exercise routine.
- Medications. Ask your doctor or pharmacist to review your medications to see if any of them increase your risk for falls.
- Vision. Ask a doctor to check your vision every year. If you wear glasses, keep them clean.
- Changes at home. Make small changes around your home to decrease tripping and fall hazards:
- Get rid of clutter and trip hazards from floors
- Repair loose floorboards
- Secure rugs to the floor or remove them
- Keep areas where you walk well lit, especially at night. Add night lights to your bathroom and bedroom
- Install grab bars in your bathroom and shower
- Consider using a tub bench so that you can sit down while you shower
- Hold onto railings when you go up and down stairs
- Place non-slip mats in bathrooms
- Assistive devices. Use an assistive device if you need it. Canes and walkers can allow you to better access the community safely and confidently.
“I was barely able to move my neck and was unable to function at my job. I haven’t felt this good in years. The staff are amazing and the techs are a lot of fun to work with. I will miss my sessions, but I’m cured!”
“Starting with almost no movement and a lot of pain, OT has restored my strength and flexibility in my hand. The staff was empathetic, efficient and made a somewhat tedious task fun. I am very happy with the outcome and am able to do my daily activities with relative ease.”
“It was a very educational experience and helpful to my recovery. The staff are knowledgeable and know what to do. The homework stretches and exercises were helpful now and will be in the future.”
“I have been taken under the wings of a great team of people helping me with my lymphedema. I am extremely grateful for the assistance I received. This is an excellent place to get the proper care and attention needed to improve.”